Welcome to our campfire.
The Discover Camping course is a gentle introduction to the adventures of camping with a tent. Suitable for those who have never spent a night outdoors, our experienced, down to earth instructors will teach you fundamental camping and outdoor skills in a safe, comfortable, yet hard-working atmosphere. We will build your confidence through the use and practice of these techniques- inviting you to experience one night sleeping in a tent.
The course will cover the following topics:
- Dressing Properly for the Outdoors
- Cooking On an Open-fire
- Managing, Maintaining and Safely Extinguishing a Camp Fire
- Map Reading
- 3 Simple and Effective Camp Knots
- Learning about the Local Wildlife
- Practicing Bear Safety
- Setting Up a Campsite
- Getting Dry and Staying Dry
- Warming Up And Staying Warm
- Using a Pocket Knife
- Discovering the Woods at Night
- Campfire Storytelling
- Learning Canadian Camp Songs
- Craft Projects with Natural Materials
- Care and Maintenance of Your Equipment
- You must be over 18 years of age to attend this course unaccompanied.
- Anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult. Each place booked is for one person only, so each course attendee must have their own booking.
- This course is not suitable for young people under the age of eight.
Storing, preparing and cooking food is an integral part of the Discover Camping course content. Therefore, food is included as part of this course fee.
At the beginning of each meal time, the Quartermaster will issue each participant a food hamper. You will be preparing and cooking for your own consumption, under the supervision and guidance of the course leader.
We will provide you with a detailed menu in your booking confirmation. Please let us know in your booking package or feel free to contact the office if you have any special dietary requirements or allergies and we will try our best to accommodate your requests.
At the base camp, we provide fresh fruit, cookies, drinking water, tea and coffee.
On the Discover Camping course, there is a professional night watch provided by Timeless Journey® staff.
You are welcome to make, or buy, your own gear. Although we would like to encourage you to be as self-reliant as possible, all gear used by students in the course must meet the safety standards of the Quartermaster. In some cases, it may be wise to contact the Quartermaster if you have any questions or doubts about gear crafting projects you would like to undertake in preparation or if you would like to make substitutions to the items listed on the Discover Camping Kit List/Gear Rental Form.
On the Discover Camping course, we will try to help supply you with used gear for rent if you are unable to find, borrow or purchase gear for the course. To ensure a selection and availability of the items you require, please submit the Discover Camping Kit List/Rental Form to the Quartermaster at least two weeks prior to the start of the course.
Course Schedules and Specifications:
The Discover Camping Course is offered several times a year, in different conditions, seasons and locations in Canada. Check the list below and read the specifications carefully to make sure that you are signing up for the right course.
DISC 05/23/20 • Discover Camping (2 Days, 1 Night) • West Kootenay Campus • $300.00
Course Dates: Saturday, May 23, 2020 to Sunday, May 24, 2020
- Start Time: 9:00 am on Saturday, May 23, 2020
- End Time: 3:00 pm on Sunday, May 24, 2020
Registration Deadline: Saturday, May 9, 2020 at 6:00 pm
Location: Timeless Journey® West Kootenay Campus near Winlaw, BC, Canada
- Bushcraft Instructor: Jim Adams
- Assistant Bushcraft Instructor: Andrew Crawford- White
Course Size: maximum of 10 participants, 3 places remaining as of 24/05/2019 6:41 pm