A Part-Time Day Camp Adventures Director is a part-time, seasonal position beginning July 2, 2019 and terminating August 29, 2019.
We run an innovative, environmentally conscious outdoor, nature-based Summer Camp program where children participate in various learning station activities, project/crafting workshops and/or go on adventures that all happen simultaneously on a semi- forested site. We encourage a mixture of various age groups, genders and a balance of group/individual activities. We teach programs that encourage the development of survival skills, wilderness living skills, leadership and self-reliance.
We would like to have Part-Time Day Camp Adventures Director who share our values and commitment to the program. We want our team to:
- Commit to building a safe, child-focused community
- Demonstrate professionalism and accountability
- Take initiative to analyze and solve problems
- Treat others with courtesy and respect
- Respond to participant, family member and colleague needs
- Strengthen our relationship with host site by upholding facility policies and embracing host site employees as partners
- Maintain a high standard of ethics, integrity and confidentiality
The essential duties and responsibilities of the position are:
- Design, deliver, and evaluate camp programming that meet the needs and interests of the community and ensure their delivery in a safe and quality manner.
- Develop and Review the Risk Management Plan, Crisis Management, Emergency Evacuation, and Emergency Procedures
- Conduct staff evaluations, programming supplies inventory counts and control, and make recommendations for the following season.
- Implement the policies and procedures of Timeless Journey® Day Camp Adventures
- Create and update programming to keep in line with current trends and Timeless Journey® Day Camp Adventures mission. Programming must cater to each group based on abilities, mobility, and health concerns.
- Assign clients and counselors to appropriate groups.
- Liaising with parents and group leaders before, during, and after their camp session.
- Administer and maintain complete records during the camp, including camper lists, daily attendance, health and medical forms, and incident or accident reports.
- Provide a written report at the end of the season.
- At the end of the summer, receive written evaluations from staff, prepare written evaluations of the staff for the personnel files, and prepare a written report for the Timeless Journey® office.
- Develop and maintain an effective evaluation system of all staff and programs.
- Develop and maintain an effective screening and referral process for reported child abuse, neglect, and accusation of misconduct.
- To ensure provision of exceptional customer service and hospitality to all guests.
- Assist in creating and monitoring the budget for the camp operations.
- Assist in the fundraising strategies for the camp program and facilities.
- Managing inventory and balancing/ordering inventory.
- Interview and hire staff in discussion with the Director Carmen Lazzarotto.
- Directly supervise, schedule, and coordinate Timeless Journey® Day Camp Adventures staff including, but not limited to, Bushcraft Instructors, Summer Day Camp Counselors, and any volunteers.
- Supervise and coordinate the activities of all Timeless Journey® Day Camp Adventure staff and oversee their professional development and address any concerns or misconduct.
- Train, supervise, and evaluate seasonal staff.
- Remain current with information on the developmental needs of youth.
- Annually seek and analyze input from youth, families, and staff regarding the quality, safety, and enjoyment of the program and staff.
- Hold staff meetings on an as-needed basis to build team camaraderie, address issues and concerns, and to receive updates from all departments
You will be asked to work on site 8.5 hours/day, 4 days a week (Monday-Thursday). Normally, on work days the Part-Time Summer Day Camp Director is present and supervising the camp for one of the 8.5 hour shifts. (There are no over-night camps at this time). Depending on the programs being run each day, the needs of the camp and resulting staff hours may vary.
The Part-Time Day Camp Adventures Director works out of the Vallican Whole Community Centre. They supervise approximately 2 Summer Day Camp Counselors and coordinate with Bushcraft Instructors running children, youth and adult programs on the same site. They are also accountable directly to Timeless Journey Director, Carmen Lazzarotto.
You will be asked to complete a Personal Development Plan that will help define your interests and goals. We will try our best to find a balance between the needs of the business and your vision of your personal growth within the company.
We feel that the Part-Time Day Camp Adventures Director position requires the following skills:
- Excellent leadership and communication skills, understanding, ability to be a positive role model, patience and self-control.
- Have a demonstrated ability in the recruitment and management of a staff team.
- Ability to plan, organize, and carry-out daily, weekly and special programs.
- Ability to supervise and evaluate staff and volunteers
- Must have experience with managing budgets.
- Experience with children with special needs.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment.
- Excellent English verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to proactively manage multiple work tasks in a timely manner.
- Ability to act under pressure and keep a clear head.
- Have computer skills and data management experience, with a working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Knowledge of natural sciences, forestry, biology and best environmental practices
The physical demands of the job are as follows:
- Some lifting and carrying up to 21 lbs
- Typing, writing, reading
- Seeing, hearing and speaking, both nearby and at a distance
- Use of hands and fingers to help with classroom supplies and operate equipment
- Frequent sitting
- Standing, walking, kneeling
You must also be able to attend and participate in the mandatory staff training June 29- July 2, 2019 from 7:30am- 6:00pm.
You will be asked to show Government ID or proof of your identity. You will need to provide a Criminal Record Check and Protected Sector Search. You will need to present your Social Insurance Number.
- Must be at least 25 years of age (BCCA Accreditation Requirement)
- Valid BC Drivers License (Class 5) or “N”
- Standard First Aid OHS Level 1 (Minimum)
- Have experience working at summer camps.
- Experience delivering top-notch customer service.
- Have a college or university degree in Recreation Management, Outdoor Education, or Education or a similar related discipline and/or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must have a minimum of 5 years of management experience
- A Part-Time Day Camp Adventures Director receives a salary of $18/hour (Paid Bi-Monthly)
Opportunities for Advancement Within the Company:
We are currently developing a proposal for an Indoor/Outdoor Day Care/After School program for the Fall/Winter/Spring 2019 season. The right candidate could potentially transition to a full-time job, year round with Timeless Journey, especially if they had sufficient experience working with young children (Early Childhood Education).
Other Part-Time Day Camp Adventures Directors may be eager to work towards careers in the field of outdoor education and adventure leadership. If this is you, we have several options for advancement within our company:
- Bushcraft Course Assistant (In Field)
- Survival Course Assistant (In Field)
- Assistant Adventure Guide (In Field)
These jobs are particularly well suited to university students who are completing studies during the winter months and looking for work in the summer months. Other people may want to continue to work from the Head Office, in a more urban environment over the winter and have full-time employment year round, in which case there may be other positions available.