“The act of fishing transports us to another world, and a state of mind where we are truly free.” Fennel Hudson
Imagine being able to select the fish you want from the stream. Imagine being able to coax even the most reluctant trout to bite. Imagine a simple purpose that has satisfaction built into every part of its choreography. With fly fishing, you get to be selective. You essentially must be stealthy, and use the application of craft and wile. For success, you need to understand the lives, habits and behaviors of the fish.
The course will cover the following topics:
- Fishing Equipment
- Knot Tying
- Fly Tying
- Various Fly Casting Techniques
- Entomology of Lakes and Rivers
- Fishing Tactics
- Fishing Ethics
- You must be over 18 years of age to attend this course unaccompanied.
- Anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult. Each place booked is for one person only, so each course attendee must have their own booking.
- This course is not suitable for young people under the age of 14.
During the day, we will provide fresh fruit, cookies, drinking water, tea and coffee.
Participants must bring their own bag lunch and any personal snacks. We will take two, 15 minute Coffee Breaks and one, 30 minute Lunch Break during the course of the day. Please plan ahead and arrive fully prepared, as the nearest stores may not be attainable.
You are welcome to make or buy your own gear. Although we would like to encourage you to be as self-reliant as possible, all gear used by students in the course must meet the safety standards of the Quartermaster. In some cases, it may be wise to contact the Quartermaster if you have any questions or doubts about gear crafting projects you would like to undertake in preparation or if you would like to make substitutions to the items listed on the Standard Clothing and Equipment Checklist (Day).
Course Schedules and Specifications:
The Introduction to Fly Fishing course is offered several times a year, in different conditions, seasons and locations in Canada. Check the list below and read the specifications carefully to make sure that you are signing up for the right course.
IFLF 09/08/19 • Introduction to Fly Fishing (1 Day) • Vallican Whole Community Center • $150.00
Course Dates: Sunday, September 15, 2019
- Start Time: 8:00 pm on Sunday, September 15, 2019
- End Time: 5:00 pm on Sunday, September 15, 2019
Registration Deadline: Thursday, September 12, 2019, at 6:00 pm
Location: Vallican Whole Community Center
- Fishing Instructor: Rod Zavaduk
- Assistant Instructor: Carmen Lazzarotto