A Part-Time Day Camp Adventures Counselor is a part-time, seasonal position beginning July 6, 2020 and terminating August 29, 2020. In order to be eligible for employment as a Part-Time Day Camp Adventures Counselor, you must be prepared to attend a mandatory staff training 07:30am- 6:00pm from June 29- July 2, 2020.
We run the innovative, environmentally conscious outdoor, nature-based Part-Time Day Camp Adventures Program where children, youth and adults participate in various learning station activities, project/crafting workshops and/or go on adventures that all happen simultaneously on a semi- forested site. We encourage a mixture of various age groups, genders and a balance of group/individual activities. We teach programs that encourage the development of survival skills, wilderness living skills, leadership and self-reliance.
We would like to have Part-Time Day Camp Adventures Counselors who share our values and commitment to the program. We want our team to:
- Commit to building a safe, child-focused community
- Demonstrate professionalism and accountability
- Take initiative to analyze and solve problems
- Treat others with courtesy and respect
- Respond to participant, family member and colleague needs
- Strengthen our relationship with host site by upholding facility policies and embracing host site employees as partners
- Maintain a high standard of ethics, integrity and confidentiality
The essential duties and responsibilites of the position are:
- Leading a small group of children, youth or adults in a series of outdoor learning activities
- Providing leadership, energy and camp spirit for participants, constantly assessing group dynamics and the needs of individuals
- Assisting Instructors in the workshops and activities they deliver
- Setting, working toward, and achieving measurable professional development goals
- Supporting participant check-in and check-out processes
- Providing excellent customer service to families by communicating with them on a daily basis about their children’s experience
- Assisting with daily set-up and cleanup of camp and assist Instructors with lesson preparation
- Contributing to and participating in daily opening and closing activities, camp supervision and camp programming
You will be asked to work 8.5 hours/day, 4 days a week (Monday-Thursday) and attend several Timeless Journey Family activities throughout the summer.
Part-Time Day Camp Adventures Counselors may be asked to work anytime between 7:30am- 6:00 pm. (There are no over-night camps at this time). Depending on the programs being run each day, the needs of the camp and resulting staff hours may vary. When staffing is low, someone is sick or there is a high demand for spots in the program, it can be necessary to assign split shifts to cover the first-aid and programming requirements during early morning or late pick-up sessions.
Part-Time Day Camp Adventures Counselors work out of the Vallican Whole Community Centre under the direct supervision of the Timeless Journey Day Camp Director. They are also accountable to Timeless Journey Director, Carmen Lazzarotto.
You will be asked to complete a Personal Development Plan that will help define your interests and goals. We will try our best to find a balance between the needs of the business and your vision of your personal growth within the company.
As Part-Time Day Camp Adventures Counselors you may be asked to run an errands to pick up or gather materials, scout a nearby locations for our activities, build or prepare crafts for courses, create a course document or host a special guest. Depending on your skills, you might be asked to make a presentation to other instructors as part of their continuing education program, take photographs or videos for promotional materials or write an article for our social media platforms.
We feel that the Part-Time Day Camp Adventures Counselors position requires the following skills:
- Commitment to educational programming for children
- Flexibility to meet changing work needs and demands
- Ability to work collaboratively on a high-functioning team
- Openness to feedback and desire to grow professionally
- Ability to handle multiple tasks efficiently and accurately
- Strong organization skills and attention to detail
- Ability to communicate clearly, maturely and compassionately with families
- Ability to maintain an excellent work ethic, a high level of energy and exceptional enthusiasm all day, every day, for the duration of the summer
We are looking for people with a college or high school education (or equivalent work experience), who have demonstrated leadership and teaching experience with children. We expect all our Day Camp Adventures Counselors to have broad interests in the fields of Bushcraft and Survival.
The physical demands of the job are as follows:
- Some lifting and carrying up to 21 lbs
- Typing, writing, reading
- Seeing, hearing and speaking, both nearby and at a distance
- Use of hands and fingers to help with classroom supplies and operate equipment
- Frequent sitting
- Standing, walking, kneeling
You must also be able to attend the mandatory staff training June 29-July 2, 2020 from 7:30am- 6:00pm.
You will be asked to show Government ID or proof of your identity. You will need to provide a Criminal Record Check (Protected Sector). You will need to demonstrate that you are old enough to work and have a Social Insurance Number. Your parent, or legal guardian, may be asked to meet with us and they will be asked to co-sign your contract with Timeless Journey®.
Strongly Recommended Qualifications:
- Valid BC Drivers License (Class 5) or “N”
- Standard First Aid OHS Level 1 (Minimum)
- Day Camp Adventures Counselors receive an honorarium of $200/week (Paid Weekly)
Opportunities for Advancement Within the Company:
Many of our Part-Time Day Camp Adventures Counselors are eager to work towards careers in the field of outdoor education and adventure leadership. If this is you, we have several options for advancement within our company:
- Bushcraft Course Assistant (In Field)
- Survival Course Assistant (In Field)
- Assistant Adventure Guide (In Field)
These jobs are particularly well suited to university students who are completing studies during the winter months and looking for work in the summer months. Other people may want to continue to work from the Head Office, in a more urban environment over the winter and have full-time employment year round, in which case there may be other positions available.
Please have a look at Presenting Our Team, for more information about our Bushcraft Course Assistants (In Field), Survival Course Assistants (In Field), Assistant Adventure Guide (In Field).